The jojoba plant is a perennial plant that is native to North America. The oil is extracted from the seed of this plant. It contains essential vitamins for the skin such as Vitamin B, E and key minerals such as zinc, chromium and copper. Jojoba oil is gentle enough to be used as a carrier oil to mix with other essential oils too. It is extensively used in skincare products as it can combat acne, heal dry skin, and help in other skin related conditions.
Jojoba oil basically works as a humectant, which means it forms a protective barrier over your skin, so any moisture loss is prevented. It has antimicrobial and antifungal properties as well. Since it contains natural forms of vitamin E, which is an antioxidant, the oil can help your skin fight oxidative stress caused due to everyday exposure to pollutants and other toxins. Moreover, the makeup of jojoba oil is similar to the sebum produced by your skin, so it won’t accumulate on the surface and clog pores, thus leading to fewer breakouts.
- Being extremely lightweight, it is easily absorbed into the skin, without leaving behind any stickiness.
- It has a calming effect on the skin, and restores natural radiance.
- Jojoba oil moisturises the skin by seeping deep within, and helps to retain moisture without clogging the pores. Those with oily skin don’t have to worry about severe acne or breakouts as oil production is balanced.
- It reverses damage caused due to free radicals.
- It effectively deals with signs of ageing, by tightening the skin, and making it soft and supple.
- It works marvellously on sunburns as well – it soothes and reduces chances of peeling, chaffing and flaking. Dry skin is soothed, and any redness caused due to excessive dryness is reduced.